ITV News Budget Week Cuts Index + Libya Poll
CONTACT US TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT HOW WE CAN HELP YOU
Date Published
25 Mar 2011

Further Description

A ComRes/ ITV News poll shows that two thirds of the public feel that the Government should reconsider its cuts programme

Following Chancellor George Osborne’s Budget statement earlier this week, the latest Cuts Index conducted by ComRes and to be broadcast on ITV News at Ten, shows that two thirds (64%) of the public agree that the Government should reconsider its planned spending cuts programme. Just one in five (20%) disagree.

Since the Cuts Index began, the number of people who agree that the coalition Government is cutting public spending too much and too quickly has risen from 45% last October to 58% this week.

Moreover, nearly three quarters of the public (71%) think that Chancellor George Osborne should have done more to help tackle rising fuel prices. 16% disagree and 13% don’t know.

Asked if Osborne was right to describe Wednesday’s Budget as a ‘Budget for growth’, only one in four (26%) agree. Nearly half disagree (44%) with 31% of people unsure. 44% of people believe that the state of the UK economy will get worse in the coming months, while 34% believe there will be no change following the budget statement.

Finally, more than half of the population (51%) thinks that their personal financial situation will worsen over the next six months. Just 22% are optimistic that it will improve.

It is right for the UK to take military action against Colonel Gaddafi's forces in Libya

20/03/2011

25/03/2011

Agree

35%

35%

Disagree

43%

45%

Don't know

22%

20%

Military action in Libya is an unnecessary risk for Britain to take

 

 

Agree

49%

53%

Disagree

31%

32%

Don't know

20%

15%

The international action being taken on Libya reflects well on David Cameron's leadership

 

 

Agree

36%

34%

Disagree

34%

39%

Don't know

30%

27%

It would be unacceptable for British armed forces personnel to risk death or injury while trying to protect Libyan opposition forces against Colonel Gaddafi's forces

 

 

Agree

53%

60%

Disagree

27%

23%

Don't know

20%

17%

The findings of this installment of the Cuts Index will be broadcast on ITV News at Ten on Friday 25th March and more information will be available here: http://www.itv.com/news.

ComRes interviewed 2005 GB adults online between 23rd and 25th March 2011. Data were weighted to be demographically representative of all GB adults.  ComRes is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules. 

 

SHARE THIS STORY