Ending apartheid in South Africa was Nelson Mandela's greatest achievement according to a new poll.
A ComRes survey carried out for ITV News found that nearly a third of those questioned believed ending the regime topped his other achievements:
- Ending Apartheid - 31%
- Inspiring ordinary people that they can change the world - 19%
- Unifying South Africa - 15%
- Setting an example for how other world leaders should behave - 14%
- Being a figurehead for Africa across the globe - 8%
- Demonstrating the possibilities of peaceful protest - 6%
- Don’t know - 7%
ComRes interviewed 2,029 GB adults online between 6th and 8th December 2013. Data were weighted to representative of all GB adults age 18+. ComRes is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules.